Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Another day, not another dollar.


For those of you that follow this blog, probably few and far between, I have made a pretty big decision that I’ve been sitting on for a while that I decided to follow through on.

(The photo is me working for the man, unhappy, making next to nothing)

Yesterday, June 28th, I quit my job at Esrock Partners, the advertising agency I’ve been working at as a copywriter for the last six months. My last day will be tomorrow, Wednesday the 30th.

I’ve done this for several reasons, and after a lot of internal conflict and debating, I feel like I made the right decision.

I’ve been toying with the idea of graduate school. And now my decision has come full-circle. I am going after my dream of studying English literature and earning a Master’s. I haven’t completely ruled out earning a Ph.D either. It just depends on where my career goals take me once I am studying.

I will be spending my time studying relentlessly for the GRE and working part-time to pay bills and for spending money.

I was unhappy for sometime at my job for a multitude of reasons. Mostly, I felt like a caged bird. I went to school for English, and I spent 8 hours a day, maybe more proofreading charts with 6-point font. It’s all business, and I’m too mystic and eccentric to be a businesswoman. I’d rather spent my day analyzing and contemplating life’s obscurities or learning more about composition and the structure of the English language.

Advertising, especially the kind I did was a complete botching of everything beautiful about language. We took it and manipulated for the sake of sales. “Creative” meant using terms like “increases your bottom line,” “produces higher yield” and “serves your everyday budget needs.” Somehow this was construed as creative. I felt the conflict from the beginning, fought the fight, learned the terms and excelled. But at the end of the day, I know it’s just more uptight businessmen, paying me below the poverty line so that sales would flourish for someone, somewhere who’d I’d never meet or care to meet.

I’m glad I made my decision. I will be going to Florida on Thursday to visit my friend Colleen and get my head on straight. I was originally going for a weekend, but on a whim, extended it to a week. I’ll be able to spend much-needed time with a best friend, relax, vacation, and spend some of my hard-earned money. Life will be good.

When I get back, I’ll sort things out and start following my dreams. My real dreams. Not fabricated contrived ones. And I couldn’t be happier. 

2 comments:

  1. i'm so proud of you, jill. i know you'll do great in grad school. and if you ever want to talk about grammar/spelling, i would be glad to be on the other end of the conversation. they are some of my favorite things ever.

    side note - i was watching "golden girls" this morning, and dorothy (bea arthur) was like "am i the only one that finds diagramming sentences fun?" and i answered out loud "no, i do too!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.
    I'm very glad you like grammar as much as I do. We can talk about it all day! Diagramming sentences! Haha that was always fun!

    ReplyDelete