Monday, March 29, 2010

Wow moment of the day.

Eryka Badu's music video

Click above to watch.

This video suprisingly moved me. I thought it was tasteful and well-done. I like that there are still artists that put themselves on the line for the sake of their art. I'm tired of people using computers to alter their voices, surgery to alter their bodies. Although I'm not black and I don't suffer from the plight they often suffer, I think Eryka Badu's message here is beyond being a black woman in society. I think it's about any thing we consider different and scrutinize. Even though it may be different to you, it's beautiful in its own way. Someone horrible commented on this video saying that she gained a ton of weight and got fat and should keep her clothes on. Someone said she did this in a shoot in Texas near where Kennedy was shot in full view of real passer-bys and children, and those parents should sue the shit out of her. I hope when I grow up my heart doesn't die. I think I'll always respect art that's tastfully done. It's not like she was shaking booty on a tricked out car, poppin' champaign on herself. I hope I can teach my children the value of the arts and the value of having an open mind to others' expression, rather than teaching them to be afraid of everything, especially of what's different.

Take a look if you're interested.


No comments:

Post a Comment