Sunday, May 9, 2010

One year gone

Today marks exactly one year since I graduated college, and what a year it's been. I remember after graduating feeling a little apprehensive and nervous about what the future was going to hold, but I don't think I could've predicted what happened this past year actually would. It's been a strange, hard but gratifying ride. Very bittersweet.

I think this past year has made me a little nervous about what's to come in the future. Everything I've been through has had its ups and downs and I worry that future will be filled with downs I can't handle. But I know I can and I'll have to. And the ups will hopefully be just as good as they've been this past year.

Sometimes I find myself longing to be back in college. I miss being on my own. I miss learning and I miss going to class. I miss being in love. I miss partying. I miss only having obligations 3 days a week. Sometimes I miss these things so much that it clouds my current vision and impedes my happiness.

At the same time, I'm very proud of the place I am at. I've had so much fun this past year and I've been working and advancing myself. I've been able to save money. I wrote freelance. I landed my first job (a full-time career!) after graduation. I've been able to spend a lot of time with my family. I've maintained friendships that are very close to me and have gotten closer with some amazing people. I've done a damn good job of being me, but it came out of a lot of hard times, as well.

As far as I'm concerned, the "real" world is rough. It's hard because it's unpredictable. But you always have to get up, dust yourself off and look forward to the future. Without the ability to do that, what else do we have?

I'm glad, despite everything, the past year went the way it did. And I'm looking forward to another year ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment